A pair of George III 18 inch diameter Library globes by J&W Cary, dated 1816, set in mahogany stands with turned urn-shaped stems raised on three umbrella shaped tripod legs with spade toes and original castors, joined by stretchers centred with compass roses. The maker’s label on the Terrestrial globe states ‘Cary’s New Terrestrial Globe exhibiting the tracks of Captain Cook and those of Captain Vancouver, etc…London: made and sold by J & W Cary, Strand, March, 1816’ The Celestial is inscribed ‘Cary’s New and Improved Celestial Globe, on which are laid down the whole of the stars and nebulae contained in the astronomical catalogue of the Revd Mr Wollaston, etc. Dated 1816’( small restorations to globes and compasses later replacements.)
The celebrated Cary family of cartographers and globe makers produced some of the greatest late Georgian globes. The firm was started in London in the late 18th century by John Cary (c1754-1835), an engraver and dealer in maps who often worked in partnership with his brother, William Cary (c1760-1825), a scientific instrument maker. John Cary concentrated on geographical excellence rather than on decoration. In about 1820 the Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St. James’s Street, leaving the premises at 181 Strand to John Cary’s son George (c1788-1859) and John Jr. (1791-1852) who traded as G. & J. Cary until about 1850.
A pair of early 19th century globes by J&W Cary
Style : George III
Country of Origin: England
Height: 50 ins (127CM)
Width: 34.5 ins (62cm)