An impressive pair of early 19th century Regency period white painted and carved giltwood Armchairs, in the manner of Morel and Hughes, acanthus and scroll carved throughout. The Chairs with roll-over backs and stuff-over seats, above Vitruvian scroll frieze, supported on reeded tapering legs with paterae, ending on original brass castors. Upholstered in an attractive blue/grey Damask material.
Morel and Hughes (fl: 1805 - 1826) and Morel and Seddon (fl: 1826 - 1832) were cabinet makers to King George IV, King William IV and Queen Victoria. Originally Nicholas Morel served his apprenticeship with Henry Holland and Dominic Daguerre before opening his business with Robert Hughes in 1805. The business was situated at 13 Great Marlborough Street, London. The company suppled furniture for the Prince Regent at Brighton Pavilion and Carlton House.
After Robert Hughes' departure Morel was joined by George Seddon and the company became known as Morel & Seddon. They worked exclusively for King George IV at Windsor Castle. The collection today can be seen at both Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle. George's brother Thomas joined the company in 1830 and Morel retired after 1831 when the company became known as Seddon & Sons. The company closed in 1868.
These chairs bear a strong resemblance to the Louis XVI style which was extremely fashionable during the reign of George IV. Although influenced by Morel and Seddon these examples depict a lightness in design to the more flamboyant pieces created for the King at the Royal Residences.
Pair of Regency Period White Painted and Carved Giltwood Armchairs
Country of Origin: England
Height: 40¼'' (102 CM)
Width: 27¼'' (69 CM)
Depth: 32¼'' (81.5 CM)